We are happy to let you know that a new version of the xRDP software has been recently released by the software solution maintainer. xRDP team tends to release new version every 3 to 4 months and make the release cycle predictable.
As you probably know by now, xRDP software is basically the Linux implementation of the Remote desktop capabilities. xRDP solution is based on basically 2 packages (i.e.xrdp and xorgxrdp) that have been recently updated and brings mainly bug fixing and some few new features.
The bleeding edge version of xRDP packages are as of today the following
- xrdp version 0.9.18 has been released in January 10, 2022
- xorgxrdp version 0.2.18 has been released in January 6, 2022
Your Linux Distribution will usually not ship with the latest version of the xRDP package. So, if you want to use the latest version of xRDP, you will need to compile the software from sources. You can also use our famous xrdp-installer script that simplifies and automate the installation. (see https://www.c-nergy.be/products.html). However, we think that we will need to update the script to accommodate certain changes made in this release
You can find the releases notes for the xrdp, xorgxrdp and the pulseaudio-module-xrdp packages at the following location
- https://github.com/neutrinolabs/xrdp/releases/tag/v0.9.18 (XRDP release Notes)
- https://github.com/neutrinolabs/xorgxrdp (XORGXRDP Release Notes
- https://github.com/neutrinolabs/pulseaudio-module-xrdp/releases (XRDP SOUND REDIRECTION Release Notes)
Point of interest in this release can be summarized as follow
- Running xrdp and xrdp-sesman on separate hosts is still supported by this release, but is now deprecated.
- Backgrounds and logos on the login screen can now be zoomed and scaled
- Remote drive redirection now works if printer redirection is also requested by the client
- Some file names could not be copied from the client to the server over the clipboard. This is now fixed
- A config value has been added which allows copy-pasting of files to work with Nautilus for GNOME 3 versions >= 3.29.92
- Clipboard now works properly when files can’t be read
- pulseaudio-xrdp-modules installation process seems to have changed because of the fact that Pulseaudio 15 uses Meson compilation method
You can see that there is a number of bug fixes related to clipboard and drive redirection….. The fact that the pulseaudio xrdp module compilation process might have changed means that we will need to spend some time to assess, learn and adapt our xrdp-installer script…
Since there is a new release of the xrdp package, xorgxrdp package and more importantly the change in the pulseaudio-xrdp-modules release, we will need to review our current xrdp script and see if there is a need to adapt it in order to get the latest features and bug fixing available. So, now you can imagine the amount of work in front of us….. A new release of Ubuntu will be soon available (i.e. 22.04), xrdp software has released new packages and some are introducing important changes….. we will need time to integrate this in our next iteration of the script….This might not be an easy release (since we have so much work to do)
Till Next time